Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dallin's First Day of School


Dallin's first day of school.... Was I going to be a complete mess or was I going to be able to be tough???

We walked Dallin to school. The first day was more of a parent's meeting. Dallin was really nervous. I have never seen him so shy in my life.

But he was armed with his Iron Man backpack, 2 parents and a little sister by his side!

And we get to the school.... My tummy is a little nervous... Not because I don't think he will do well - I mean he is reading very well and already adding and counting by 2s. More because I don't want to see him be scared or sad.


We get to his class and he fills out his own About Me paper.


Then they took the students to the library while the teacher told us parents how everything will work. It was interesting. They were asking for people to sign up for parties they will have through the year... Get this - I actually signed up for a Christmas Party CRAFT!!! That's going to be a funny one! ME - CRAFT.... They don't typically go in the same sentence.

They took the kids out to the playground after and Dallin didn't know where we were so he was crying. I felt terrible. I will have to explain exactly where I will be meeting him come Monday.

We signed up for an assessment - it was today. Dallin counted to 100 for his teacher - so he is in the 100 Club already. He was very excited about that. She was very impressed with his reading skills. That makes me feel like I have accomplished SOMETHING as a mother.

EDIT~~ The teacher asked him to draw the shape that she said; circle, rectangle, square, etc. When she got to diamond he drew a circle with lines out of it. It actually looked like a stick figure sun. She said, "Well that is close it is actually like this". He said, "No, it's like a diamond on a ring that is shining." WHAT A KID!!???!!!!

As we were leaving the school yesterday, I had this very strange feeling in my chest. It wasn't anxiety for my son. It wasn't that I was super-mom for having a brilliant son. {Even tho he is :)} It was more of an excitement for this new journey that he will be taking on. He loves to learn new things and his mind will be opened to SO many things starting Monday. I am just thrilled for him to have this opportunity! My only anxiety is, what if he doesn't make friends or what if he gets his feelings hurt... Which I know will happen - I just don't want him to have to go through that! I know, I know... It is all part of life. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Anyway - enough of the mushy mommy stuff... After this great first day we decided to go and get some food! Everyday we pass this place called Granny Annie's and I decided that we needed to try it out! We were just going to go for ice cream... But this place is more like a diner and so we just had lunch.


It's the cutest little place that I think I may need to frequent! Especially for their Biscuits and Gravy... The best biscuits I have ever encountered!!!

Scott and Dallin...


So here is my little boy that is venturing into a new phase of life. I don't know how I will be come Monday when I actually have to drop him at the door. I have a feeling that even tho I will have so much pride (the good kind) and excitement for him - I will be a complete mess on the way home. It's just so different than sending him to a friend's house for Joy School.


I love you, Dallin. More than you could ever know. You are my first born and I still remember holding you night after sleepless night the first few months of your life. Enjoy every minute of this experience!!!

0 comments: