Monday, December 3, 2007

Shephard's Pie

Now, I am sure that everyone has a certain meal that they remember as a child. A meal that they recalled was eaten EVERY DAY and you never wanted to eat it again? Sorry, mom... Well, I am sure that we didn't have Shephard's pie EVERY day. But that is the meal that I remember from my small child days and swore that I would never in my life, ever, ever, ever eat again or subject my children to eating in their entire living existence. Several years ago, our friends that we miss dearly (Kevin from Texas and wife Kelley) invited us over to dinner. We were having Shephard's pie. I have to say - I was EXTREMELY nervous going over after finding out what was for dinner. Scott just laughed at me. A lot. It turns out, that I actually liked it and got their recipe!

I never actually made it since then... I just couldn't bring myself to do it and give up on my resolve to never ever, ever, etc... But it has been cold and snowy here and I thought that I might just have to try my hand at Shephard's pie (since I have never actually made it myself). So - here is the proof, mom! I actually made and ate Shephard's pie!!!

It is so much more colorful than I remember as a child. But as a small child, I probably didn't care as much about the variety in color of food as I do now as a mother.

Ya - I like to keep the skins on my mashed potatoes... Oh - and I added butter. A lot of butter!


I did in fact eat it. I don't have a picture of it... that would have required a photo being taken of me... eating... and that's not gonna happen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Monica for letting me know that Shepard Pie did not leave a permanent scar on your life! I have not made it in years...mmmm, perhaps this weekend! It is a great way to use up left over veggies and mashed potatoes.....perhaps that's why we had it so often! Glad to hear you are turning into ME! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I don't recall shepard's pie having all those vegetables in it. I certainly don't have all of those terrible memories of it, but I was alot younger. I don't think, however, I would have touched it if I had seen all those vegetables in it. And, no, you're not turning into Mom.

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMMMM. Shepherd's Pie. A good friend of mine was born in England and his mom used to make this all the time when we were growing up and I think I got the recipe from her at some point. I never had it as a kid, only as a teenager so I don't have the same aversion to it as Monica, although I have to admit I would never have made it had I known of her distaste of the dish!

Anyway, I took the recipe I obtained and embellished it in typical Kevin from Texas cooking fashion and added mushrooms, peas, corn and just about anything else that we had left in the freezer. Kind of a "new and improved" version of an old classic... or not...