Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Oh Donny~

So, I will be hating life tomorrow as this is as late as I have been up since I can remember (with the exception of camping in Yellowstone). My son will be coming into our bed at 6:00 am asking if it's morning and my daughter will be up at 6:05 am crying for her milk. But I simply could not go to sleep tonight without telling anyone who actually reads this about my night! My feeble pregnant brain just doesn't retain information like it did pre-Dallin. So I know that if I wait until naptime tomorrow most of my fun evening will be gone forever!


This afternoon I packed up the kids in the mini-van and was off to Scott's work. He took the kids home and I got to stay in Salt Lake with the other car for a night on the town with my girlfriend, Christine! We went to dinner and talked and talked and talked. She is from Indiana and so I don't get to see her very often. She is here for Education Week at BYU. She is the one who we needed to finish our bathroom for! Anyway... Scott emailed me one day and said, "Doesn't Christine like Donny Osmond?" I emailed back and said, "No... she loves him!" So he told me that he was doing a concert at Capitol Theatre while she is here. I promptly called her and she informed me that I needed to purchase tickets and we were going. I was like, ok... I guess Donny is good. Needless to say that when asked what I was going to do in Salt Lake and I said, "Go see Donny" - people responded "OSMOND?" It was quite funny. And now I must repent of my doubts and ask Donny to forgive me for not having understood the importance of his work upon this earth!!!!!!!!!! I remember as a small girl having a birthday party and receiving not just one but TWO brush and mirror sets. They were pink with Donny and Marie on them. I must have known who they were. And they must have been the craze at the time. But I certainly hadn't thought anything more about it. Except maybe a little disappointed in getting the same gift twice.

I have never heard a voice so milky and smooth as Donny Osmond! It actually sounds like I am describing a Toblerone or something... And what a great performer! He was HILARIOUS! If you didn't know - he is a grampa. His 2 year old grandson was there. He said that when asked what grampa does he says, "Wok and wole". Very cute! Every time someone yelled, "I love you" he would say in a silly little voice "I love you too". That is until a man yelled it. Then he said, "So - about that football game - YOU NEED HELP MAN!" So how old is Donny? He is close to 50 he says! So as he is shakin' it up on the stage I am thinking, "Wow - this guy can really move for being that old!" Then I start to think - my sweet hubby and I are only about 10 years away from that! Maybe one or two years more. As I am starting to have a mid-life crisis and say that it's right around the corner, my dear friend comes to my rescue and says, "Yes, but it's a really long corner!" I sure hope she's right about that! Back to the concert ~ We started out feeling pretty hot stuff! I got the tickets and having never been to Capitol Theatre thought we had some pretty up front tickets. They were 1C. Well, at this theatre it goes A-Z and then 1A-1D. So we started in the 3rd row and when were in someone else's seats ended up in the 2nd to last. But that was ok. I also did not realize the craze of Donny fans out there! I knew about half the songs that he sang. But I didn't know ANY of the songs that he sang from his younger years except for Puppy Love. But these people knew every word! He hit every note so smooth (like that Toblerone, mmmmm) except for Sacred Emotion. But he corrected it quickly.

His band was SO cool! There was this one guy who - bless his little feet - couldn't dance to save his life. But he could play the sax and it would just melt your soul! He was so funny too! He had this black hat on top, red shirt on, then black pinstriped pants and these bright white tennis shoes! You just looked at him and thought - I love it! And then the bass player looked so cool too! I just thought it was really neat how Donny didn't want to take the spotlight the whole time. He gave each of the band members lots of solo numbers. When it came time for intermission some yelled "NO"... He said, "Man, I'm 50! I need the intermission!!" He just seems really down to earth. I start to think of the really messed up child actors/singers of now-a-days and admire how he has stayed true to what he loves to do.
I was thinking that the last concert that I had been to was with Christine as well. While I was living in Indiana we went to a Faith Hill/Tim McGraw concert. When I told her that she said, "That is really sad!" I love my friend! But then I did remember having gone to a Billy Joel concert with my hubby pre children. Other than that and Air Supply with my mother and Bangles with my high school friend... that is all the concerts I have been to. I guess that is pretty sad!

Anyway... I am probably boring most of you. But I had a most wonderful girls night out! And I have a new respect for a voice that I had never really paid attention to - except for maybe when he was hosting Pyramid.
Mock me if you must - but true believers shall never waiver! Now off to the DI to find old Donny albums!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh I am laughing so hard - that was awesome. I shall never mock you for loving Donny Osmond - I had the barbie Donny and Marie when I was a kid, and we had tons of their records. I think it's so great that you went!

Beefche said...

I'm so happy to have made a convert! Thank you so much for getting the tickets and allowing me to have my moment to sing with Donny--even if it wasn't with him in my car (where the acoustics are GREAT).