Saturday, May 10, 2008

Look at the cool trains!

We went to the Golden Spike State Park today for the re-enactment of the completion of the railroad that connected the east to the west. It was really a fun day!! I learned a TON about the railroad that I didn't know. I never even knew that this park even existed. And it's really not that far from my house!

When we first got there the kids were messing around. Just being glad to be out of their car seats...




There was a park ranger lady that was narrating far more than probably necessary. But there were some interesting facts. Like did you know that some of our lingo comes from railroad talk. And not the swear words... Things like "I got on the wrong track" and something else. Obviously it didn't stick. Oh well. There were a few of them.

Then the trains came into the picture. This is when it got really fun. All the old pictures of trains are of course black and white or sepia... Like this...

BUT... this is the REAL color of the train. This cute lady told me that they found the paperwork on these 2 trains and got the paint formula and everything so this is what they actually looked like!

My friend's daughter Sydney got this photo. I think she did a GREAT job!!! These are the trains meeting from the Pacific and the Atlantic at Promontory Point.

Although this is probably how it would have looked taken in the day...

Here is a reenactment of the photo taken before they smashed the bottles into the trains.

I tell ya... this was such a cool experience!!

After all the photos were taken we got to go up and get our pictures with the trains... Here we are~



After that we all went back to the van to have lunch. Then it was back to the train tracks to watch the actual reenactment. When they put the Golden Spike in the ground. This was a little hard for the kids to sit still for. So they wandered. And Syd got a little tired so she sat in the stroller.

The ride home from things like this is SO wonderful. I didn't actually have to do much. Brian and Steff sat in the front while Brian drove. I got to hang in the middle seat and take pictures!!!





What a wonderfully fun day! Now it's off to finish preparing our talks for tomorrow. It won't be that wonderful of a day... Oh well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont even worry about it... You did AWSOME on your talk today!!! I walked in just as you started. I was afraid I was going to miss it. But you did great!

Rachel said...

That really does look like a fun day - how do you find out about stuff like that?

Hope your talks went well! Too bad you can take pictures in church...