Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Who You Gonna Call?

Oh my - what a night! Maggie started throwing up last night about 5 pm.... Again.... She continued through the night and then again this morning after Scott had gone to work. He decided to come home early to relieve me of my barf duty. And thank goodness he did!!!

We were eating dinner at 4:50 (because I was famished and Scott was home). About 5:00 both of our carbon monoxide detectors start going. One is in the basement and one is in the hallway by the bedrooms. We looked at each other and said, "What do we do now?" So you call the fire department when the smoke alarm goes off. The police department when someone breaks into your house. What about when a carbon monoxide detector goes off?? Who do you call? We called a friend of ours - he said open windows, check this and check that... Then we looked on the internet... Basically the same information. Except it said to call a professional to check this and that. So we decided to call the police department's after-hours non-emergency number. They said, "Please get everyone out of the home and we will send over the fire department." I felt a little like they were saying - YOU MORON!!! IT'S ONLY BEEN GOING OFF FOR OVER 20 MINUTES!!!! GET OUT!!! They also asked if anyone in the house was nauseated, vomiting or had a headache. Well, that would be ALL of us. I am pregnant for goodness sake! When am I NOT nauseated!!!! And Maggie has been vomiting... UGH...

So we packed everyone up and got in the van. And waited out in front of our house for the fire department. I looked at my camera on the way out the door. I thought - I really should take that in case our house blows up. (that's how vain I am and how much I love my camera) But then thought - you are lame, just leave it. So I did.
When the fire truck came and Dallin was SO excited, I then realized my mistake in leaving my camera in the house. What a much more fun blog entry this would have been!!! 3 guys went in with Scott to check the house. 1 guy got in the van with us and put our finger in a machine to check our CO levels. We were all fine. The firemen couldn't find any carbon monoxide in our house but called Questar to make sure their machines said the same thing. Although while we were getting checked out in the van I did find out that our Joyschool group can go to the fire department for a field trip! (fun little side note)

Then Questar came and they also said that we were good to go. This - by the way - is a service with no charge. It is part of the $5/month fee that you pay for the accounting, etc. Meanwhile - we went to Lowe's and got a new carbon monoxide detector. We found out that the brand that we had in our home is the brand that 90% of the false alarm calls they get are. So we got a different brand.

Anyway - it was a night filled with adventure for Dallin. And thank goodness Scott had come home early. I would have been freaking out at home by myself with the kids.
By the way - Who you gonna call?? - that would be 911. And then your local gas company.

6 comments:

Lisa Burbidge said...

Monica, you make me laugh. I can just picture you looking at each other and wondering what do we do, that is so funny!!! Glad all is well and hope there is now more vomiting!!!! YUK

The Holcombs said...

Yikes that is kind of scary. What are you talking about vain, i would grab my camera and my laptop. Not to mention consider my desktop computer as well.

I hope Maggie feels better soon and as for you, keep feeling sick as long as it is a sign that the baby is healthy. :) love ya
Mandy

Tam said...

I am so glad to hear you all survived your crazy night. That is one thing I am completely freaked about. In SLC we were told we shouldn't any problems because our house was so drafty but here our house is new and we really should be a detecter.

We did have to call the fire department on our first night in this house though. There was a strange smell upstairs and our smoke detecters kept going off. Turns out the plastic smell from the new shower curtain I had put up that day was "upsetting" the detecters. Funny stuff

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I love that your first call was to some lame friend guy! :o) That's a lot of pressure on above mentioned lame friend guy. What if he gave you bad advice? I'm not prepared to live with the guilt!
Heehee.

I hope this sounded as sarcastic as I meant it. It's hard to type tone.
:o)
-ss

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha, im sorry but that is kinda funny. I love ya though and im glad you're still alive!

Rachel said...

Wow, darlin'. How are you doing? Too many adventures!