Thursday, January 31, 2008

Popeye's

What are Popeye's? Oh yum! I am sure that you have all had them. They just are known as different things... Puffed Oven Pancakes, German Pancakes, etc. Scott's family calls them Popeye's (I don't know why). My first experience with them ever was our first morning as a married couple. We had stayed at the Castle Creek Bed and Breakfast and we were served them for breakfast with fruit. MMMMMMMMM..... They have been a fun weekend breakfast for us since then.

PUFFED OVEN PANCAKES
From Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book

- 2 T butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/4 t. salt




Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put butter in baking dish (I just use an 8-inch casserole, I think the recipe calls for a round oven skillet or something)...heat in oven 3-5 minutes, til butter melted.

Beat eggs. Add milk, flour and salt. Beat til smooth. Pour immediately into baking dish. Bake 25 minutes, or until puffy edges and looks done in center. Serve with fruit, syrup, powdered sugar, whatever you like!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So there you have it... Popeye's! Dallin's favorite breakfast ever! Did I mention that he ate the WHOLE pan on Tuesday? I had one piece and Maggie had 1/2 of a piece. Dallin had 4 huge platefuls of them! He likes them!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay. We call them puff pancakes at our place. Now it all makes sense.

bechtold clan said...

hey had lunch with molly moss today...gave her your blog info...:)
I love german pancakes- made some last week actually but it didnt rise as usual...such a bummer.

Tam said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try it this Saturday!!!

The Gordon Clan said...

You should try lemon juice and powdered sugar! Very good. Happy late birthday Dallin!

Tam said...

Okay I made these the other night for dinner and everyone was so excited. BUT... I made them with egg beaters instead of whole eggs and made a huge mistake. I needed 6 eggs (double batch) which for egg beaters would be 1 1/2 cups of eggs. Well I don't know what I was thinking but I put in 3 cups of egg beaters. But we still ate it and can't wait to try again...

Anonymous said...

FOUR PLATES FULL!!! He was probably hopped up on sugar the rest of the day. LOL.

Robyn

lindygirl said...

Funny, we have some in the oven right now, but we are having breakfast for dinner. I double the recipe and put it in a 9x13 pan. We love them too.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

I check on your adorable family about once a week. I just saw your post about the baby and my heart aches for you. I've been meaning to send a message for awhile, because, my daughter (Romney) and I made these pancakes because of Dallin's recommendation! They were delicious and are now Romney's new favorites! So, thank you for sharing your life with so many. Knowing you, even from afar, blesses me in so many ways. Yvette (US District Court)