Saturday, March 15, 2008

Bruises~

Wednesday this week Dallin, Maggie and I were walking into the movie store. I was a little bit irritated with Dallin that day for being excessively whiny. I went to open the door and thought that it was heavier than it was. SO I pulled pretty hard. I hear this really loud THUNK. All of a sudden Dallin has his hand on his head and is screaming. I realized that I had hit his head with the door. Being already irritable I said to him, "Oh quit your crying. It didn't hurt that bad! Forget it - we aren't getting a movie. Back to the van." When we got to the van he got up in and turned around and I just about dropped a load! He had a knot on his head at least the size of a quarter around and sticking out a good 1/2 inch! It had turned purple and I started to freak out! This picture is really not anything compared to what it was originally. But this was later that night. I knew Scott wouldn't be home for at least 2 hours and I wasn't sure if this was something I wanted to doctor to see right this second. I can just imagine DCFS at my doorstep! So I called a friend of ours who has taken care of medical things in the army. He was asking me this question and that question and if his pupils were doing this or that. I honestly can't remember exactly what he was asking me or what I was supposed to be looking for - I was pretty much losing it. We ended up meeting him and he had a flashlight and looked at his eyes and they did whatever they were supposed to do. We kept him awake for several hours and then he was just fine. Today his big bruise is green. It matches his Yoda shirt he got for his birthday.

Well - continuation of the story... Friday (2 days after this event) Maggie has a temperature. I take her in and she has a 103 temperature and puss on her tonsils. The doctor suspects she has strep throat but we are waiting on a lab. As he is checking her out he looks at Dallin. Then he stops.... I look at the doctor and think frantically, What the heck am I supposed to say to this.

So I said, "So... How do ya like that?"

Dr. S - "How did THAT happen?"

Me - "Oh - that... well, I opened a door on his head."

Dr. S - "WHEN did this happen?"

Me - "Oh - on Wednesday."

Dr. S - silence.

Me - "I had my friend who is a medic look at him. His pupils did whatever they were supposed to do."

Dr. S - Silence.

Me - "We kept him up for many hours before letting him go to sleep."

Dr. S - "Did he throw up at all?"

Me - "No."

Then we just went on back to Maggie. I haven't heard from DCFS yet - SO I guess that he doesn't think I am a HORRIBLE parent.

UGH!!!! What happened to the days when you weren't afraid some freak was going to call you in on any little thing??!!!!???

2 comments:

Tam said...

Don't you feel completely awful when stuff like that happens.

When we were living in our hotel here in Denver I did almost the same thing. I was trying to get everything out of the room... J was still in a carrier and my arms were full of everything else. I opened the door to our room, walked out and the let go of the door thinking it would slowly close. It swug back so fast and K went flying into the hallway and almost hit the wall on the other side. Talk about feeling like a bad mom!!!

lindygirl said...

He still might think you are a horrible parent. Just not abusive. Have a nice day... and stop beating your children.