Monday, October 13, 2008

Grapes, Grape Juice and Grape Jelly...

Grapes! Our friends have a whole bunch of grapes on their back fence. So we decided to juice them and also make grape jelly. So we went out and picked the grapes. There didn't seem to be a ton of them. There were these 3 buckets, a box and a little tub. But then 1 bucket was in the sink soaking already. So that makes 4 buckets...After we started plucking the grapes off the stems we decided that there were quite a lot of grapes after all! We worked pretty much all day Saturday. Didn't get them all done. So she worked on them in the morning while I was at church and I worked on them in the afternoon while she was at church... and we got some BEAUTIFULLY colored grape juice and jelly!
They have 3 or 4 different kinds of grapes that have in-bred. So some of the juice turned out looking like watermelon jolly ranchers and some like dark purple grape juice. Brian wanted to do a batch of green grapes for jelly so he sorted out a whole bowl of just green grapes. They turned into the middle jelly that looks like honey.

This is some of the best jelly and juice I have ever had!!!

We did have a weekend full of mishaps and disasters though. Steff and I just didn't have it all together apparently! We were burning pots and juice was spilling out of jars... and I managed to do an awesome job of giving myself 2nd degree burns!!!

It really hurt... But didn't seem too bad. I was holding a jar on the bottom (with a towel) and unclamped the hose. A bubble must have been in the hose because it jumped out of the jar and I couldn't get it back in or get it clamped back up. OWIEEEEEEEEE!!!! I was not at my own home so I felt bad dropping and breaking the jar. Not to mention all the juice that I was wasting by not getting the hose clamped back. So it hurt pretty bad. But didn't look so bad.

As the night wore on I could feel the skin pull away from the skin on my hand as the blisters were forming...By Sunday morning it looked pretty bad. And then by the afternoon I was having dead skin cut away from my arm. It's pretty nasty looking right now. I won't make you suffer to look at it.

So Yes - Leah... I have a juicer you can borrow at your own risk!!!

But I WILL make you suffer and look at this!!!!!!!I have never in my life had snow before my birthday! Not just a little skiff of snow either... But 7 measurable inches of snow!!!! I debated on the song for the day to be I Heard It Through the Grapevine or It's My Party again since I was practically in tears yesterday for more than one reason!!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Your burns look just awful......Don't let them get infected or you will really have trouble! Oh, you poor thing! I hope you don't think about the pain and anguish every time you eat the jelly or drink the juice! And just look at the snow...You could have gone outside and stuck your hands and arms in the snow to stop the burning! Take care of yourself. Love you! Mom

The Hoogland Family said...

Oh my, that makes me a little nervous!

lindygirl said...

The grape jelly and juice looks awesome! I am so sorry about your burns!!!! Take care of them.

manderskids said...

I love to look at your pictures! Your picture of the grapes in the pot looks like a masterpiece... if I took that same picture, it would look like a pot of grapes :) I have two juicers if anyone needs them... pass it on!

bechtold clan said...

oh my!! that doesnt look good! you okay? I love what you are doing tho, looks totally fun and enjoyable to make your own stuff. Jealous!