Sunday, February 22, 2009

Amazing Fajitas

A friend of mine made Olive Garden's Zuppa something soup earlier this week and I loved it and wanted the recipe. She sent me the link to this website that has copy cat recipes.

We LOVE fajitas... and on this list was Chili's Chicken Fajitas. I have to admit, I used to make dang good fajitas - but now I make AMAZING fajitas. :) This recipe is a keeper!

Fajitas like Chili's®

1/4 cup lime juice
3 Tbls. olive oil OR vegetable oil - divided
4 cloves garlic - crushed
3 tsp. soy sauce - divided
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 lb. boned, skinned chicken breasts OR skirt steak
2 Tbls. water
1/2 tsp. lime juice
1 dash salt
1 dash black pepper
1 lrg. Spanish onion - sliced thin
1/2 med. green bell pepper - seeded, sliced thin
1/2 med. red bell pepper - seeded, sliced thin
1/2 med. yellow bell pepper - seeded, sliced thin

-Combine 1/4 cup lime juice, 2 Tbls. oil, garlic, 2 tsp. soy sauce, 1 tsp. salt, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper in a sealable plastic container, add chicken/steak to container, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight (preferred).
-Combine water, 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1/2 tsp. lime juice, and a dash of salt and pepper; set aside.
-Grill meat over a medium-high flame for 4-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
-Cut meat into thin strips; set aside and keep warm.
-In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onion and peppers in remaining 1 Tbls. oil until brown; remove from heat; pour reserved liquid mixture over onions and peppers.
-Toss together meat, onions, and peppers.

Notes: Serve with warm tortillas, pico de gallo, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. When I make this, I make sure to marinade at least overnight; the taste from the marinade is so good, I like to make it stronger. Also, I steam the peppers and onions rather than sauté them, as it cooks them evenly and retains their color perfectly.

I made a few changes...
  • I used garlic powder - my garlic heads were moldy.
  • I had the chicken cut into strips before putting it in the marinade.
  • After I cooked the meat I pulled it out of the pan and left the marinade; boiled it and then added the veggies to steam in the chicken marinade as the recipe note suggests.
  • I had the chicken sitting in the marinade for about 30 hours. Not on purpose. It just turned out that we didn't make them last night.
  • I used a red onion cause that's what I had in the house.
  • I added a lot more peppers - cause I love 'em.

Now personally - having formally been vegetarian - I would love these with just the veggies. What I love about fajitas is that I don't have to have any meat in mine if I don't want! And the husband is still happy cause he gets his carnivorous desires taken care of! :) See - everyone is happy!

If you want to link to this awesome website: http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/C/64.htm Here you go!

My tummy is full and I am going to enjoy a Sunday afternoon nap!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Olive Garden soup is Zuppa Tuscana and it is absolutely my favorite Olive Garden soup. We also got the recipe and made it a while back. Delicious, tho I still like Olive Garden's better. Don't know what the difference is, but it is there. Wish we could have been there for your amazing fajitas! They sound wonderful! Love you all sooooo much!
Mom

Robyn said...

I didn't know you were a vegetarian. When was that? Those fajitas look fantasticly yummy!!! Though your other ones were awesome too.

Robyn