Monday, February 23, 2009

My First 5k

Some of you know that I started running in the fall. Well - I am a total wuss when it comes to cold. Heck - anyone who knows me would be like, "What? Monica - Run? Those 2 words don't go in the same sentence!!"

Anyway, once the weather got to below 35 or so in the mornings I stopped. I keep saying that I will start again when it's warmer. I hope that I do! I really felt stronger when I was running. I could actually catch my daughter (who is a natural born runner) when she would take off at the park. I actually had abs - not of steel... but abs none the less. Anyway - I just felt really good.

So I was thinking about my lack of motivation to get out running again. Not that I am going to be going right now. I mean come on - there is still snow and ice on the ground! But I decided that I needed something to motivate me.

I registered Scott and myself in the SLC 5k that is coming up in April. I AM SO SCARED! Even at my best I could only run down our street, around the corner and to the house that was for sale with the big flag pole. I couldn't tell you how far that is... I just know that I would try to make it to that house. And now - I am $66 committed to start running again. I just hope there aren't any April showers that day!

I don't know that I will EVER want to run a marathon - but maybe a half. I don't know. I guess anything is possible!!!

Well... anything is possible as long as Scott is pushing the jogging stroller. I will be lucky to get MY OWN sorry butt across the finish line - let alone 2 cute baby butts!!!

5 comments:

Tam said...

Good for you - I think that is great. I have never been a runner. Even in my thinner days my throat woutl start to burn and that was it for me!!!

My mom just started 1/5 marathans this year. She has already ran in San Fran and Vegas. I keep telling her about the SLC one so who knows maybe you will be sharing the road.

Anonymous said...

Wow!What a motivator! I'm proud of you.....getting outside that comfort zone of yours. I should be more like you in that regard! Love you all, Mom

lindygirl said...

Good job! By the way, April is still sort of cold... and so is March... but cold running gear helps a ton. ROCK IT!!!
Jeremy

The Hoogland Family said...

YOU GO GIRL! I had so many wonderful intentions of getting back into running after Maddy was born, but it is just too hard, so when I stop nursing her I plan on starting up again (i know, excuses, excuses)! Anyway the SLC marathon is the coolest! Scott ran the half last year and it ends at the Gateway mall and there are a ton of people cheering you on along the railings at the end. Have Fun!

Lisa Burbidge said...

That sounds like a lot of fun, if my baby was older I have tried it myself maybe next year!!!