Monday, April 14, 2008

Day 6 - Home again Home again Jiggity Jig

We had a lazy start this morning as I was trying to get the Day 3 blog entry posted. Dallin hadn’t watched his PBS cartoons in several days – so we thought it would be nice for him to watch while I took advantage of the hotel’s free internet! And of Scott’s willingness to watch for Maggie and packing the van.

Throughout the last few days Maggie and I have been having the same conversation. She signs "Help". I ask her "What do you want help with?" She takes her hands and tries to get her car seat undone saying "Ahhh Dahh." I say "You're all done in the car seat?" And she nods her head yes. Then I have to say "We aren't done in the car yet." And then she screams. When we pulled into the garage tonight and went to get her out of her car seat, her face lightened up and she said very enthusiastically, "AHH DAHHH!!!" And I said "Yes - all done!" And she clapped her hands with joy! What a doll!!

At the stop after the second barfing incident Scott got a car air freshener. You know the ones shaped like a tree? Well, he got the "Bouquet" scent. I will forever associate "Bouquet" with barf. I never want to smell it again!


We have come up with some things that we have learned on this vacation.

1 – Maggie gets motion sick. Good to know for the future.
2 – I am not driving Lynnette home to Arkansas in May with the 2 kids!
3 – We ARE keeping the van.
4 – A 13 hour road trip (according to Mapquest) actually takes 18 hours with a 4 and 1 year old!
5 – Our power inverter does NOT run a hair dryer.
6 – Tweezers don’t work to change a blown fuse.
7 – Energy is wasted on the young!
8 – Wherever we vacation: Dallin will find rocks to throw and Maggie will find dirt to eat.
9 – If our vacation is sunny – we WILL forget sunscreen…. And aloe vera.

We have thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Redwood forest! I can now cross one thing off of my list of things to do before I die.

Thanks for enduring through our journal of our family vacation.

9 comments:

Stinkbombers said...

YAY! I'm so glad you had fun and perfect weather!!! I wish I enjoyed camping at all... I don't. At all.

And I'm glad you agree on not driving me to Arkansas. I decided a few days ago that I'd rather fly and be scared out of my wits for a few hours and get home fast. haha.

lindygirl said...

Your pictures are amazing! It makes me want to go there. I am really glad you decided to go.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! you are home! Sure missed you girl...
loved reading your blog while you were gone so I could keep up with your vacation. Your family is adorable! could Maggie be any more beautiful?
stephanie

Asher and Amy said...

Monica, We loved looking at your vacation pictures. Wow, it must have been so much fun. I think vomit goes with traveling by car. My sister in-law had this same problem with her 1 year old. The pictures were so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Yup, The barf smell is BY FAR the worst part of the trip. Lucky for you, you were smart and baught an air freshinar... I had to smell It (gagging) for 6 hours... DESCUSTING!!! I am so glad you had a better time than I did when I went on that trip. It was actually 2 years ago, not just one. Was It my dad the old man with the advice (that probably didnt help much)? I CANT BELEIVE YOU ARE HOME!!! I thought you were coming home tonight. I totally would have called by now. Anyways, Dieing to hear fom you.

The Holcombs said...

Looks like a cool trip, I love the shots - you got some great ones especially of the kids! Every trip has hiccups with kids, but sounds like you had more good than bad times. Love ya Mandy

Tam said...

How wonderful. I love northern California but siting here reading your posts has made me want to go back NOW!!! I am really glad you had such a great vacation and have so many wonderul pictures.
But YEAH your home... that always makes the vacation even better!

Anonymous said...

How awesome is all this! Wish we had this technology when we were taking trips with you kids! I have thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and narrative! Made me feel (almost) as if I was there....You guys are wonderful parents and I'm so glad you are doing such a great job raising Dallin and Maggie! Rest up now...it'll take a little while for everything to get back to 'normal'. Love you all! Mom

Tricia said...

What an adventure! Looks like fun, and even the yucky stuff can all be chalked up to great memories for your family! I'm anxious to do that trip with my family now! Thanks for sharing!