Friday, April 4, 2008

Lawsie Mercy!

A saying taken from The Pioneer Woman - Lawsie Mercy - I have just been down Memory Lane!!!

Side Bar here - This is my 100th Post!

Ok... So my cutest BFF (best friend forever) has been periodically giving me a hard time for not mentioning her before on my blog... Weeeeeeelllllll..... I love you Steph! Good thing I am going out of town for a week!!!!

I have to say first of all - I know full well that I was a total and complete nerdy goober growing up. And having gone through all of my photos this past hour... You are going to get some FUN blogs coming up in the next few weeks!!! My family better watch out! Lynnette is the only one close enough to hurt me though. I think the rest will forgive me before they see me again!

Like I said - total geek. How big did glasses have to be to be able to see out of them for pete's sake??

Well, my best friend Steph and I met in the 8th grade. We both moved to Rockville within a few weeks of each other. We must have met at church first and then saw each other at school. In fact, I remember being in the locker room after gym class waiting for the bell to ring for us all to go to our next class and she talked to me. I couldn't believe that someone so pretty and most assuredly POPULAR was actually speaking words to me!!! I am exactly 6 weeks older than her. This is from one of my early ugly year birthday parties...

She never liked to get her picture taken. I don't really know why - except that we are girls and girls aren't supposed to like to get their picture taken, right??

Then we went off to college... I started to normal out about then. I looked for a picture of the 2 of us at graduation from the horrid years of high school that I would NEVER re-do, but just couldn't seem to find one!!

We had fun in college! We thought we were pretty cool matching our clothes. HEY - WE WERE COOL!!!

We went to dances together. This was a picture of us either before or after a dance. Notice the sweatshirt? This was in 1990. I still wear it. Yep.. Geek...

This was that same dance. We had a tent up and had dinner in the tent. Ya - we were cool. Like the double socks? The black underneath the white?? That was in then...

We even went and ran through the sprinklers on the soccor field at Ricks... Then we were cold so we went to Aspen Village and jumped into their pool. Never mind that it was a boys housing.... We were cool... Then when we got home we were FREEZING - so we all jumped into a hot shower before stripping down... Have I mentioned how cool we were??!!!

Then of course we did the whole glamour shots thing...

But then - she met her NEW best friend... but he'll never have anything on ME!!!!

Apparently I had something really dazzling to say, seeing as Steph wasn't even looking at me and Theo was looking at me like, Shut up already!!!

You know how friends kind of go away when they get married? Well, not MY best friend!! We would play Euchre till 4 in the morning and then sneak me back to my girls housing that had a 10 pm curfew (oops).

EDIT*** So I just noticed that this must have been taken right after our glamour shots. Also, see the end table? They are the same ones that we have in our basement. Scott brought them into the marriage. I wonder if they were leftovers from the first wifey???

As Steph began to procreate - I decided that I would head out for Korea to preach the gospel. She supported me the whole time!! I looked and looked for a picture of me holding her first baby as I was at the airport leaving for Korea. I can't seem to find it when I need it....

We were separated for many many years as I was on my mission and living in the Midwest. Then I moved out here and lived almost as far from where she lived as possible - so we didn't get to hang out much after I found a job. But now we live just a few short minutes away. I love her SOOOO much! And her beautiful family!!!

Here's to having a best friend through all the fun and the yuck!!! I love ya Steph!!!

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

OH MY GOSH!!! are you kidding me? I couldn't decide if I was mad at you and would never talk to you again...or love you to death and cry because I am so happy you are in my life. Wow! what fun memories, lets go make lots more!
stephanie

lindygirl said...

Wow, you are brave to post pictures of yourself like that! ;)
It was fun to hear more about Steph. Glad you guys are close again!

Anonymous said...

How awesome is this! I remember going to the movie Dennis the Menace as a family in Indy and Steph came along! Yes, Monica, you were cool and I never remember you as 'ugly' at all! I always love your posts! Mom

The Holcombs said...

Fun, looks like you had a great time over the years. WHo care what we look like then, what matters most is that you were going through it together.

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha... I LOVE IT! The pictures are way cute... Im not lieing, I love old pictures!

Anonymous said...

WOW. Unbelievable. And I used to think you were a chicken. Wow.
Jeremy

Rachel said...

That is such a fun post, Monica. GREAT GREAT pictures - the socks, the puffy sleeves, the braces and glasses - we all have those pictures, don't we!

Anonymous said...

The hair! My Lord, THE HAIR!!

What I really want to see are old pics of Scott.