Sunday, November 30, 2008

Cutting a Christmas Tree

Yesterday we went with our dear friends to cut down a Christmas tree! We thought it would be a great memory maker with our kids. We had a ball!

We got up at the crack of dawn and put the kids in the car.




We drove for a while and stopped at this adorable diner for breakfast.


They had entertainment for the cooped up child...


It was the cutest little place!


I think this shot would look better like this....


They had really great food!! MMMMM..... I was starving by the time we got there so I got a HUGE omelet with hash browns... The french toast was really good too...

This place was even complete with a cat curled up out back by a stump!


We drove for a really long time. To pass the time I was taking pictures of the clouds.





They are a bit doctored up... But not much. It was a really neat looking sky the whole time!

We got into Idaho...


And the children were getting bored...


We turned onto a gravel road...


And the children were still bored...


Then we got to a "two track road"....


And the children were laughing their heads off....

(I couldn't keep the camera still enough while we were on this road. It was hilarious!)

There was hiking of mountains...


Climbing of trees...

And falling out of them...

We found a tree. It took me a lot longer than our friends to find one.

There was cutting of trees...

And hauling it down to the truck...



Do you notice anything missing?? I did... SNOW!!! Oh well.

We got the tree home, put up and decorated.

This tree is a lot poky-er than other trees I have decorated...
Ouch!
It really took up about half of our living room! I have issues with visualizing how large or small something actually is. I really cannot be counted on to estimate anything like that. This tree really didn't look as large on the mountain as it did in the living room!!! Oh well.
At 5:30 am we were woken up by a very large crash! The tree and the IRON stand it was in fell over! I think the cat had something to do with it. Dang cat!!!
We took off some of the bottom of the tree. It fits much better now.
I am very excited for Christmas! This is my favorite season. I hope everyone remembers the reason for this time of year!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL tree. That sounded like a fun day. Good job picking out a tree. It looks great in your living room. Robyn

Anonymous said...

Good job! And I loved the faces on the 'bored' children! Your tree is gorgeous! You really go all out to get your tree....what? no trees in Utah? Love you all sooo very much! Mom

Steff said...

Glad the tree fits better. That is way funny it tipped over. I'll be sending my blog readers to your site for details of the trip. :o)
Thanks for a super fun day!

Lisa Burbidge said...

You guys are just about the craziest ever!! Looks like fun but not for me!!!

Mandy H said...

Wow, you go all out. I like going to the garage to get the fake tree out. That's enough work for me. :)

looks like a fun and eventful turkey day too. Ya a lot like the Santa Clause!!

Tam said...

I love this time of year and can't start it fast enough. We cut down the tree on our first christmas together and I loved that. A few years ago my father in law went to Utah (before we lived there) and got everyone a Utah Blue Spruce. We had to cut half of the tree just to get it through the door. But it was beautiful.

Your kids are really going to have great memories of their childhood. Good for you.